Policy key definitions:
- "I", "our", "us", or "we" refer to the local optical committee
- "you", "the user" refer to the person(s) using this website.
- GDPR means General Data Protection Act.
- PECR means Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulation.
- ICO means Information Commissioner's Office.
- Cookies mean small files stored on a users computer or device.
General Data Protection Requirements (GDPR)
The principles of data processing
We as a body that processes personal information, aims to comply with the 8 principles of data processing under the GDPR. These are that personal data must be:
- Fairly and lawfully processed;
- Processed for limited purposes and only processed in a manner compatible with those purposes;
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive;
- Accurate and kept up to date;
- Processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights including the data subject’s rights of access and right to object to the processing of their data in certain circumstances;
- Secure: protected from unauthorised and unlawful processing, accidental loss;
- Not transferred to countries outside the European economic area without adequate protection being provided to the personal data on individual subjects.
Personal data we may collect
We collect data through direct interaction with people using the website, or contacting us directly in other ways.
The type of data we may collect includes,
- Identity Data includes first name and last name.
- Contact Data means the data we use to contact you including your billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone number.
- Financial Data means the data we use to process your payments for fees or goods provided. We do not store or process your bank details ourselves, they are processed and stored via one of our contracted third party service providers.
- Technical Data means details about the device(s) you use to access our website including your internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile Data includes your username (email address) and password, your login data, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our website, products and services. This includes your browsing patterns and information such as how long you might spend on one of our webpages and what you look at and for on our website, the click stream to and from our website, page response times and page interaction information such as scrolling, clicks and mouse overs.
Personal data held
Personal data is stored electronically on the LOC database and within the UK and maybe stored as a paper copy within our secured office premises.
Security of personal data
We shall continue to take appropriate technical and organisational measures to limit the opportunity for unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and to guard against accidental loss or destruction of or damage to personal data. Appropriate contractual obligations shall be incorporated into contracts which the we enter into with third parties.
We will continue to ensure that appropriate staff are employed to undertake our data processing and that they are aware of their responsibilities in relation to the processing of personal data as it applies to their area of work. Where appropriate, training will be given.
Data Protection – controlling your personal information
As a not for profit organisation we are not obliged to register as a data controller, however we still need to adhere to the principles of GDPR.
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless are required by law to do so.
- In no event will your personal data be transferred to parties located in countries outside the European Economic Area.
- You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under GDPR. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Staffordshire LOC, Stafford Business Village, Staffordshire Technology Park, Stafford, ST18 0TW or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Use of personal data held
We collect information, principally to ensure that performers and contractors and others interested in the development of primary eye care services receive the latest guidance and advice on important issues relevant to the optical sector, as well as news on community eye care services. We also collect this information to ensure that interested parties are kept informed about the work of Staffordshire LOC & Shropshire & Staffordshire Primary Eyecare Company.
Data Retention Periods
We will keep your personal data for the duration of the period you are a member of the LOC or actively practising in Staffordshire. We shall retain your data only for as long as necessary in accordance with applicable laws.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data.
We may keep your data for up to 7 years to comply with accountancy law.
We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 23 May 2018.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name, job title, and organisation
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer or member surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our services.
- We may periodically send emails about events, and support available using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to invite you to participate in local events. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Why did you receive an email from us?
If you received a mailing from us, (a) your email address is either listed with us as someone who has expressly shared this address for the purpose of receiving information in the future “legitimate Interest” data processing.
How we protect your privacy
We use security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of data used by our system.
Sharing personal information
We will never share, sell, or rent individual personal information with anyone or unless ordered by a court of law. Information submitted to us is only available to employees managing this information for purposes of contacting you or sending you emails based on your request for information and to contracted service providers for purposes of providing services relating to our communications with you.
How can you stop receiving emails from us?
If you wish to do this, simply follow the instructions at the end of any email.
If you have received unwanted, unsolicited email sent via this system or purporting to be sent via this system, please forward a copy of that email with your comments to email@example.com for review.
Changes to this policy by date: 23 May 2018: Publication of this policy.
Revised and updated: 23 May 2018